Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

triple black diamond

Becoming a mother has been amazing and wonderful and has pushed me to grow in so many ways I never really imagined. I have learned so much and have become relatively accustomed to making split second decisions without really having a clue what the "right" thing is. But every once and a while I still find myself looking into the future and totally panicking. I suddenly feel like I am at the top of a triple black diamond looking down and wondering how I will make it down alive, but knowing there is no other option but down.

A few days ago it dawned on me that the days of simply smiling and cooing, snuggling away tears, and "you can't spoil a baby" are coming to an end. Jonathan now understands "no no" and when he heads for the dog's dish or an electrical cord does so with burst of speed in, what I can only imagine, is a race to get there before I redirect him. The world of discipline is terrifyingly unknown to me. Sure, I know some catch phrases, but I feel like I don't have a sense of an overall vision for what needs to be taught and I am clueless about child psychology. I know there are a million different philosophies of child-rearing, but I don't even know enough to know what they are. As a teacher I know how important it is to scaffold one lesson onto the next: It is crucial to know what skills students will need next month and next year in order to adequately lay the ground work now. And this is what scares me the most. I have NO CLUE about 2 year olds, 5 year olds, 10 year olds. So how will I prepare Jonathan?

Like all of these ledges I have faced so far, I am sure it will be OK somehow. I am sure there is a lot that will be more intuitive than I think it will, a lot that I will learn by error, and a lot more time and leeway than it seems right now. I just don't see how. I just really want to do this right because I love Jonathan so much that sometimes it makes it hard to breathe.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember the classic line "because I'm the Mom, that's why!" It worked on you, didn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, I am technically 6 years into becoming a child psychologist, and I still think these questions are very unclear! The most important thing I learned from my classes (and I think the only axiom that I try to use all the time) is "unconditional positive regard". It means making sure that your baby always knows you love them, even when they are drawing on the wall in marker!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...