Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Animal Vegetable Miracle

Every time I pick up a good book lately, I am struck lately by how much what we read shapes how we think and act and who we are. With that said, I thought I would share a few of my favorite recent reads that have been banging around in my head. I'll start with my current read:



Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
by Barbara Kingsolver
In this book Barbara Kingsolver chronicles her family's decision to eat only what they could grow themselves or purchase locally for an entire year. My garden never does super well, and I don't really have as much space for it as I would like, but the idea of a garden that could sustain a family of 4 for a year fascinates me!! I love reading about food: eating it, growing it, cooking it, whatever. I've been totally inspired by this book both in terms of gardening and eating. Reconnecting the food I eat to some notion of where it came from has been a fascinating journey for me. Maybe someday we will live somewhere I can plant rows and rows of carrots and have some chickens... Until then I'll settle for trying to shop locally and planning to muddle through another season in my garden with some new crops




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...