Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

ant mommies

Jonathan was amazing and slept from 8pm until 9:30am today (getting up here and there to nurse, of course) And I slept the VAST majority of that time. So why oh why am I so tired?? I feel like I might just fall over and die at any moment. Maybe all of those less than ideal nights are catching up to me. Or maybe it is because it is cloudy out today...

Anyway, I was pulling up some of my summer annuals this afternoon so I can plant some lettuce and spinach soon. I moved one of my large pots that has been sitting in the same location all summer and there was an entire colony of ants living underneath. At first it totally grossed me out (what a hardened gardener I am that ants creep me out) but then I noticed that they were all wildly scrambling in that way only ants can do to move this huge pile of eggs out of danger now that the pot had been moved. Streams upon streams of ants each carrying one egg were darting away as fast as ant-ly possible. I started to be less grossed out and started to wonder if the ants had feelings toward their eggs and babies in the same way that we humans do. Did the ants in this colony feel about moving their eggs the way I would feel about getting Jonathan's stroller out of the middle of a busy road? So I moved the put back over the ant colony. Hopefully all of the mommy ants' panic will be relieved.

But now I can't shake the feeling that there are ants crawling on my legs- maybe I'll go take a shower!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Krista! I found your blog!!! I've enjoyed reading it and now feel like I should leave a comment:)

    I too had the ant mommy experience when I was fixing the stone walkway to our house. My mom suggested some pesticide but they were the little tiny ants who don't come in my house anyway. They had all those little white eggy things and I felt bad just like you for disturbing their nesting time!

    Hope all is well, I look forward to reading about you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience with our nieces and nephews in Savage this summer - watching those ants busily protect their home and family when we uncovered their colony was amazing!! They moved those eggs so quickly and steadily while we watched - what a flurry of panic activity! We couldn't stop watching! (I did feel sort of itchy the rest of the day though!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...