Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

back to school shopping

Well I think I have just finished my back-to-school shopping. It is amazing how fast $200 goes on stuff like paperclips, sticky-notes, and file folders- all that stuff you need and just take for granted. I went shopping alone this year (aside from Jonathan who is not a great back-to-school motivator). And maybe because I went on a weekday morning, but it just felt lonely.

I used to go back-to-school shopping with my friend Rachel until she moved away. She is an amazing motivator. She really is just wonderful. One of those people with excitement toward life and its adventures and contagious optimism. She always has great new plans and hopes for the new year. I need her spirit this year because my optimism is tainted with a sense of impending dread. Dread that with 5 preps my plate will be too full for me to enjoy teaching. Dread that boundaries will be harder to draw and a choice for the very important will mean a choice against the important. Dread that I will end each day with a feeling that I did too much not well enough.

This year the smell of new pencils and expo markers will be mixed up with the absence of the smell of slightly sour milk and soft baby skin...

1 comment:

  1. this post filled my heart but emptied $50 from my checking account as I bought school supplies in response.i'll get back to you on the balance/boundary goal...i spent two hours yesterday typing up ideas for reading strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...