Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

back to school

So I am back to school this week. The kids aren't here yet, but teachers are back doing lesson plans, setting up desks, and attending endless meetings. This end of summer transition is always really really hard for me. This time of year is a stark reminder for me that I cannot do it all. I grew up firmly believing that I was capable of anything- that nothing I put my mind to was too hard or beyond my reach. That belief has inspired me to do things about which I am immensely proud- run a marathon, major in physics, etc. But what I have a hard time with is the idea that I cannot have or be all things all at once. That once I've made a choice, it closes other doors. That I cannot, for example, work a full time job and be a stay at home Mommy. And that is really really hard for me.

To my mind, the summer is this amazing time where I get to be Mommy full time, while still maintaining my identity as an independent, career woman. But then Fall hits and I am actually back to working and the illusion of having it all comes down around my ears. I start to question everything about my life choices and feel like I am failing on all fronts. Failing at spending those precious moments playing trains and chase and reading stories. Failing at going the extra mile for all of my students. I suddenly feel like the balance I strike makes me mediocre at everything.


For the past two years once we've gotten into the groove of the year, I see how great it is for Jonathan to be in school. And I see how great it is for me to have a career that is mine and that I really do love. And I see how OK the balance actually is. And I start to feel good about my choices again. But this year, I don't think that groove will be as easy to find. It is hard to see a vision for a school year when I don't know if I will be out on maternity leave starting tomorrow, next week, or three weeks from now. And once the baby comes... well life with a newborn is anything but "settled". So hopefully I will find some way to relax into the tension that is my current life. For now I'm taking a lot of deep breaths and trying to extend myself a little extra grace.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, give yourself that extra measure of grace! Remember that you are mediocre at nothing!!! You are a beautiful, amazing, gifted and blessed mother and professional, balancing many roles so successfully. I am so proud of you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sort of relate to that. August is always a time at my job when I feel extremely incompetent and "realize" that I never should have gotten into this in the first place. But it always settles out. Last spring I realized that my issue is just that I hate my job in August, and not that it's a problem with me or my career path. I was able to tell myself all month that soon, it wouldn't be August any more and things would be better. I'm hoping that's true... starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...