Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

One Ugly Tomato

At this point in the year I typically look out at my garden and assess its success.
This year: pathetic.

beans: have climbed the trellis up and down and sideways (making a fun tunnel for Jonathan) but have yet to produce one bean or one flower

cucumbers: out of 6 plants, yield = 2. One ripened when I was out of town and got too big by the time I got home. One we ate.

onions: small harvest of small onions.

okra: plants look very nice, but seem to produce only 1 or 2 pods per week- which makes it difficult to use in the kitchen

peppers: as always they are limping along. so far 1 pepper

basil: half the plants died, the other half are enough to keep us supplied with pesto.

Of my large tomato plants, only one has produced anything more than food for hornworms. And it is quite possibly the ugliest tomato I have ever seen:

The only decent spot in the garden is my collection of Roma tomato plants. The leaves are being eaten by flea-beetles and so they look pretty bad, but they are still producing like crazy.

All of this begs the question of whether it is worth it or not. Honestly I don't put that much work into the garden (and I suppose it shows). So for the time invested a few cucumbers, peppers, basil and a plethora of Romas isn't too bad. But I am always so disappointed when I survey the plants in August and begin to pull up the ones that have not and will not produce for whatever reason. Alas. Maybe next year will I will be more diligent and have a better crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...