Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

1st CSA

We picked up our first CSA box today. I decided just before Christmas to sign up for our local farmer's market winter season Community Supported Agriculture and I am so excited!! Almost all of the food is grown totally locally- (except for a bunch of organic, fair-trade bananas from Peru). Today's bag contained:

lettuce
collard greens
tomatoes
sweet potatoes
white potatoes
turnips
banana

While I have been living in the south now for 10 years, I have not yet ever cooked or eaten collards. I guess this week will be a first!! If anyone knows any great recipes for collards (particularly one that my super-picky husband might eat) let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing Jim might not drink smoothies, but that's how we've been sneaking in greens this year. Every day we start with a green smoothie with lots of spinach in it. If you put enough sweet fruit -- frozen pineapple & strawberries, bananas and OJ -- you can't even taste the spinach at all. I also sneak yogurt into Dave's diet this way. I know people do this with all kinds of greens, although you probably want to see if you can cook them in a normal way first.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...