Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

self sufficiency

I firmly believe that I should be able to do anything and everything. And that if I can do something, I should. Asking for help is not something I do. This especially applies to things I might consider paying someone else to do and leads me to feel guilty whenever I pay someone to change the oil in my car, put new gutters on my house, do any sort of yard work, paint my fingernails, cook food for me, etc. I'm working on the idea that while I might be physically able to something does not mean that I should. This is a new idea for me and one I'm only starting to believe. The fact that my time is so increasingly limited is forcing me to make some of choices. For example, I could vaccuum or I could spend time playing with Jonathan- not a difficult choice. But lately it has come to my attention that no one around here is doing any house cleaning. And so, after working through some significant feelings of shame and inadequacy, we have decided to pay someone to come and clean our house twice a month. Some days this decision leaves me with this amazingly light and ecstatic feeling freedom and joy. On other days (today) my pride sneaks out and causes me to take on projects like pulling the oven out from the wall and undertaking a massive effort to scrub it and the floor behind it clean- just to prove that I am not a slob.

5 comments:

  1. Someone once advised me that the key to having a happy two-working-parent home is never to do something yourself that you can pay someone else to do (cleaning, ironing, etc). That might be a little extreme, but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live the for the when i can pay people for all sorts of things: from cleaning, to cooking, to shopping. I just want to have time to hang out at the spa with my baby girl. consider yourself a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this after Simon was born and I also felt guilty. Dave is very logical about it though. He does a basic cost-benefit analysis. Of course, that kind of analysis requires one to acknowledge that you cannot, in fact, do everything. That's hard to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are about 98% ready to hire a maid. Problem is, our house is currently too messy for me to allow any maid to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim and I are contemplating whether or not we should clean before the maids come or not too... I think we would, except there really is no time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...