Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

fall gardening

This weekend I finally got out (a little) in the garden.

My sweet peppers had a hard time this year. Between something critter eating their leaves, planting too early and who know what else, we just didn't get the yield I had last year from my jalapenos. Maybe sweet peppers are harder than hot ones? I don't know. But I started these from seed and despite the fact that they are supposed to be orange peppers, I am still proud of the result:

And my dwarf pomegranate tree produced 5 mini-pomegranates!! I ate one standing right there on the deck, the others made it into the kitchen. I probably should have let them ripen a little more (since they are rather tart and more pinkish than deep red), but I was getting nervous about the cooling nights.

My beets are sprouting! I mulched around them yesterday and will probably need to thin them soon (I hate cutting some of them down though)

The lettuce seeds I planted 3 weeks ago are coming up and looking nice. I planted the second half yesterday so hopefully we'll have home grown lettuce for a while!


Sadly, the spinach sprouts I thought were coming up well turn out to be only weeds :( I think I have problem with spinach. Last year mine bolted before we got any good leaves!!

1 comment:

  1. I did all this reading about the wonders of fall spinach and I cannot get mine to sprout either! I wonder if I was supposed to plant it earlier in the summer? Anyhow, I am disappointed. I'm trying to start it in a domed seed started, but nothing has started yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...