Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

unfun in the kitchen

It has recently come to my attention that I can no longer put off reorganizing my kitchen. I have taken a pretty laissez faire attitude toward baby-proofing thus far- once Jonathan started showing keen interest in electrical outlets and cords, we moved lamps and put in the outlet covers. A few weeks ago he started opening drawers and so the tupperware moved to the bottom.

But now he has started opening cabinets- mostly just to hear the bang when he slams them closed again. But it won't be long until he discovers that he can climb in and clear their contents onto the floor like a little human swath of destruction. He does this with the bottom layer of our coffee table- crawls up onto the shelf, spreads his arms and then scoots himself from one end to the other pushing everything onto the floor in 2 seconds flat. So I need to move some key items (the blender and food processor come to mind) from the bottom shelf to higher ground. The trouble is that all of the upper shelves are filled with things like wine glasses, glass bowls, and cast iron pans. I think this project will involve a lot of hard decisions about getting rid of things we never use (perhaps the 2 teapots or the waffle iron that have been used once each since we were married or maybe one of my 3 coffee pots) and massive amount of reorganization. Grrr, I am NOT looking forward to this project.

4 comments:

  1. Don't they make attachable things that prevent the cupboard door from opening? Personally, I can't figure out how to use them, but if they prevented me from having to get rid of things, I'd figure it out :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do and I put them in the bathroom cabinets, but the screws keep splitting the wood in the kitchen- so I haven't been able to use them in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nights are still going GREAT (knock on wood). Last night he woke up screaming his head off around 3am (I think he was having a nightmare) and it took him a while to get settled down again. At preschool they said he woke up from his nap this afternoon in a panic as well. I wonder if his new independence is stressing him out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...