Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

afraid

For the first time today, I watched Jonathan deal with fear. I'm not really sure what cognitive development leads a baby to suddenly see familiar things in a new, scary, light. But I can't think of anything that precipitated it.

We were playing on the dining room floor with his truck and he kept going over to the baby gate and saying "ball". It took me a while, but I finally figured out he was talking about my big purple exercise ball was in the middle of the floor of the sunroom. I climbed over the gate and brought the ball into the living room because I thought it might be fun for him to play with such a big ball. He approached it at first, but then came diving back towards me, crying and burying his head. He wouldn't touch it, go near, or let go of me and and didn't stop crying until I put it back away. As soon as it was gone he was back to his normal spunky self. And not 10 minutes later he decided he should try to scale the stairs. So much for well grounded fears...

2 comments:

  1. As I thought about this, I was reminded of the time that I felt a huge irrational fear standing under a water tower at night....(I was in high school so it really surprised me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spent a couple days with my friends in WI and both sets of couples said their babies suddenly and inexplicably feared the hair dryer (after being cool with it earlier). My grandma gave me a book a few years ago called "The Gift of Fear" which maybe explains why that's good... but I never read it :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...