Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

spring

It certainly seems to be spring around here. The sun is up when I leave for work (for this week anyway), weather in the 60s, sunshine, our daffodils are in bloom, and my students have spring fever. It is beautiful and, mostly, I love it. It makes me hopeful. But it also makes me sad. In my mind Gramma Rosalie embodied springtime, and this is my first without her. Maybe it was the tulip festival in Pella she and Grampa Earl took us to when we were little, or Dayton's flower show every spring, or picnics at the arboretum. Maybe it was the way she decorated and gardened that made the newness of spring last all year. But springtime filled her personality too. She was cheerful and bright and full of warmth, her smile could melt anything and she brought sunshine and laughter to all situations, however grave. So picking the first daffodils of the year made me smile, but it also made me cry. I'm thinking of you often and I miss you Gramma!!

1 comment:

  1. My heart is in the same place, Krista! Thank you for that beautiful tribute to my mom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...