Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

overwhelmed

Today I feel overwhelmed with being a mommy. Jonathan's birthday is tomorrow and I'm sure that part of my issue is that I have all sorts of crazy conflicting emotions about him turning one. On one hand I feel like this past year has been a huge success despite my amazing ignorance. On the other hand, I feel like the infant stage was probably the easiest and I feel totally unprepared for what comes next. For instance: How do I feed a baby who is starting to spurn baby food but is woefully lacking in the teeth department? I feel like I passed the "baby" exam. But toddlerhood comes next and I have no idea what is even on this test! I guess I just have to keep reminding myself that I have felt this way about every new stage and development so far. Like most things in life this will just take patience, hard-work, some trial and error, and a good sense of humor.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, sweetie! and Happy first birthday dear Jonathan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jonathan! I think the baby phase is easiest, but I know many, many mothers who feel differently, so maybe you'll find toddlerhood even more of a breeze. (At least you'll be sleeping, right). On solid food -- if the teeth are right under the gums they can still provide some help. But yeah, I could exclusively breastfeed their whole lives if it meant not having to worry about controlling nutrition for yet another picky eater. Of course, that would probably mess them up in other ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathize. I was pretty emotional about Des turning one. It was like a magical change occurred and he wasn't a little baby anymore. Fun, but emotional.

    Toddlers are "harder" in many ways, but also more fulfilling IMO. You have to use your brain more to interpret them and discern the best reaction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...