Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

first steps!

Jonathan has begun taking his first real all by himself steps this week!! And I have to say it isn't really how I pictured it. In my mind I envisioned a tentative tot reaching from the edge of a sofa, pausing deliberately and then walk/falling towards a beaming parent with outstretched arms. I pictured him full of excitement and glee about his new skill and accomplishment. From all of the books I was prepared for nights of restless sleeping and increased fussiness because of his frustration about not walking well.

But I guess life never goes like we imagine it will. Jonathan's first steps have not been tentative and calculated. They have seemed almost accidental and unnoticed. One minute he is cruising around the coffee table, the next he is confidently charging away towards his dump-truck. Two steps later he is on his face on the floor unfazed and then immediately off crawling towards his toy like nothing happened. I am excited and clap and cheer, and he looks around to see what he missed. He is sleeping fine, eating better than ever, and still fusses only when something is wrong. So much for expectations!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how fun! Wish we could see him do that! Yeah, I thought he'd toddle precariously toward your open arms too...he'll probably still do that when he is really focusing and being aware that he is upright and mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So distracted by his higher goals that he doesn't notice his amazing accomplishments... hmm... wonder where he gets that... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...