Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2009

another worry

babies drink milk; children eat food

The trouble is that babies miraculously transition into children, but I have no idea how to transition from milk and mashed-smashed-pureed mush into cheerios and chunks of banana without Jonathan choking and dying. Several of my "baby's first year guides" have all suggested that about now babies are ready to begin "experimenting" with finger food and list "well ripened pears" as a potential starting point. So this morning as I was eating slices of a "well ripened pear" and holding Jonathan, I let him hold onto a slice and mush on it with his gums and mini-tooth. He loved it and was vigorously gumming at the pear when I noticed that he had actually scraped a good bit off and had a mouthful of mushy pear goo. He wasn't choking or caughing or distressed in any way. I panicked. I turned him on his tummy, whacked on his back and frantically dug all of the pear mush out of his mouth with my forefinger- just as I'd learned in infant CPR. And that made him distressed. But it occured to me that "experimenting" implies there will be some trial and error- but here error could be fatal. I guess now that the serious risk of SIDs has somewhat diminished, I can focus on choking to death as my new obsessive worry.

4 comments:

  1. After seeing him go to town on baby foods, I think you would have a hard time killing him with mushy pear goo, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Mama Di and remind you that Cheerios have that convenient hole in the middle for just such a purpose. However, if it makes you feel better, I won't buy Kix because I secretly fear choking to death alone in my apartment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it possible we are reading each other 's blogs at the same time!!! hilarious! i just got a comment from you!! i'm loving reading about your adventures- wish we could see more you all! love, kendall

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at the power of Liam's lungs and how he can cough just about anything up. This has helped diminish the fear of choking.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...