Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

pre-summer nerves

I realized today that I am a little nervous about the summer. In particular what the summer will do to my mental health. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being with Jonathan. But his never-ending sickness has thrown me off of my game a little bit (He has been doing a lot better since Sunday and has been back at preschool yesterday and today. His appetite is back, he has had solid poops, and he seems like himself again. But he still isn't back to a normal diet so we aren't out of the woods yet.)

But after staying home with him off and on for the past 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure I am not cut out for stay-at-home mommy-hood. Granted his being sick has made my days at home more about counting the hours between episodes of vomiting and diarrhea, constantly worrying about him, and second guessing myself than enjoying the company of my little bean. But I am already feeling bored by the toys in our living room, sick of our current library of board books, and grossed out by the unpleasantness of summer here .

Anyway, we'll see how the summer treats us, but I think I will need a major mental shift from working mommy to staying at home mommy. I think I will need regular outings, dates with friends, and some projects that can be conquered during nap-times. Here's to to 3 more days of school!!

2 comments:

  1. I feel like having regularly scheduled outings is key. Simon is super social, so we both go crazy when we don't see other people. We've just gotten into a routine though -- every Monday we go to a really nice pool complex with zero entry so small kids can splash around without being held. 3-4 mom friends and their kids join me. Wednesdays we go to our Community Garden with friends. Thursdays is play group. You should find out when library storytime is since it is an excuse to get to the library and get new books. One morning I have a middle-schooler come and babysit while I do stuff around the house. I highly recommend finding a middle school aged "mom's helper." The going rate here is $4-$5 per hour when you're home, but then you can work on projects and have time for your own stuff. I love hearing Simon playing downstairs while I'm working away. He loves Julia, too, and thinks she's just "a friend" he's playing with. Best $8 per week we spend. Being a stay at home mom is really fun when I use it to do the things I always wanted to do but couldn't when I was working (like berry picking in the middle of the week or doing a baking project that takes all day just because). It can make you crazy if you just try to play at toddler level all day every day though.

    You should come see us for a week! We'll take you fun places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the solution is having your friend fly in from Iowa for a few days... oh wait, that's already the plan!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...