Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

garlic


Yesterday I noticed the tops of my garlic plants were all mostly brown and that there were these odd growths on the stems of some of the plants. I thought at first they might be flowering, but the growths were not at the top of the stalks, and are hard about the size of chickpeas. The are purplish white and smell and have the texture of tiny, spherical garlic cloves I planted- so maybe they are new sprouting cloves?


I don't know, but I decided to harvest the plants today. When I planted my garlic last fall, I had visions of harvesting a crop of huge perfect looking garlics and braiding them into a beautiful rope that would be both useful and decorative. Most of them are decently sized, a few are tiny and none are huge. And it turns out braiding them isn't so hard, unless you care what the braid looks like in the end. They haven't dried/cured yet, so the bulbs are still fresh with dirt, but this isn't what I pictured! Alas. I guess now the question is whether we eat this crop, or I save it for replanting in the fall..


2 comments:

  1. I just learned about braiding garlic! My friend made me a beautiful braid with some we harvested at the community garden. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a few of those little guys too! I vote for eating what you want and planting the leftovers. Most of mine have been harvested, but I have a very sweet spot near the porch where they are still growing. I think this will be my permanent garlic spot. Do you know if the soil needs any extra loving between the spring and fall plantings?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...