Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Garden Update 6/23/10

Since it is too hot to actually go outside and work in the garden today, pictures will have to do!



From left to right (top to bottom) these are:
1) the amazing day lilies a friend from work gave me 2 years ago- LOVE them
2) bean/squash trellis- bean side
3) bean/squash trellis- squash side: 2 of my 3 plants developed a grey fungus thing and had to be cut down completely- alas. I'm hoping the third plant stays heathy and is able to pollinate itself so we get some butternuts!
4) One of my new square-foot boxes. Tomatoes in the back, peppers then basil and then my struggling carrots
5) Yay tomatoes!!
6) Zinnia planted from seed!! Planting things from seed seems miraculous to me. When I buy a plant, I expect it to stay a plant and produce veggies or flowers or whatever. But when I buy a seed, it seems magical!
7) Heirloom tomatoes planted from seed!! Again amazement. And at one point this spring I was going to throw these seedlings out because they didn't seem to be thriving! Now they are waist hight and doing great!!
8) Deck boxes. (Mom these always make me think of you!)
9) 2nd bean trellis and onions. My onions are all laying down as they have been doing almost since we planted them. I don't know if this is normal or not- probably not. But they are producing little red bulbs that are crowning above the soil (and keep tempting me to pick them!)

My potatoes have gotten some sort of purple spotting disease on their leaves (I think I planted them too close together) and so I'm not counting on them. And my garlic is going fine- just not very picturesque.

So far the produce I have gathered:
  • 1 gloriously delicious plum tomato
  • enough basil to make a good batch of pesto
  • 2 onions whose tops got mowed over and had to be picked
  • 2 banana peppers

2 comments:

  1. Krista, your garden looks fabulous!! and so do your deck boxes, by the way ;)
    I am so impressed that you can grow things so well from seeds - seeds apparently don't like me; that process is still totally magic for me (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I think I need that picture of Jonathan..!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...