Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

unplugging


One of the things I have learned again about myself this summer is that I don't like my brain on technology. I hate the way I feel compulsively checking my email, facebook, blogs, etc- like I am hoping for a tiny affirmation or distraction. I read an article (thank you Rachel) and heard an NPR interview about neuroscientists who go into the wilderness for a trip totally away from technology to test the effects. And I can feel all of the effects they describe in reverse as soon as I boot up the computer in the morning. I am resolved to do something about it. (starting by blogging). Jonathan and I went to the botanical gardens and wandered about in the 'woods' for an hour yesterday morning and it was perfect. So peaceful and calm. I felt complete and good without knowing if anyone 'liked' my fb status. I could feel my brain relax in ways I hadn't felt for weeks and had a good chance to just take a deep breath and settle into the end of summer. And then I noticed that Jonathan was eating pebbles.... (why will he eat pebbles, sand, and acorns, but not touch a blueberry??). Anyway, I'm shutting down now (right after I check my blog list) (and my email again) (and then facebook, just one more time...)

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! I've been spending less and less time online this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the way you described that syndrome!!! I was just thinking today about why I keep having to take a quick peek for something or other all through the day any time the computer is on! It is the affirmation and distraction, the little social 'bits' that come our way...
    ...and what is it with Jonathan and pebbles???? Maybe he has a gullet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...