Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

food


I love eating it. I love growing it. I love cooking it. Planning to cook it. Reading about it. Looking at pictures. If you surveyed my most visited websites or my google history (aside from my email, facebook and a few friend's blogs) all of the pages are about food.

So the fact that I married a food-a-phobe and have a tooth-challenged toddler who is starting to venture into the picky eating phase (oh please let it be a phase) has been a source of stress at times. Especially over the last week or so. Trying to plan family meals that are vegetarian, free of sauces, cheese and tomatoes, but high in fresh veggies, and which are edible by a tot who has no molars and is not particularly skilled with a spoon or fork has been a challenge for a while. To top it off Jonathan has started going on crazy binges of particular foods followed by outright disgust at the same food. Two weeks ago the only thing he would eat was bananas. Every time we went into the kitchen he would chirp "Nana?" He ate 3 or 4 a day and started calling Jim "nana" instead of "dada". This week if I put a banana near his plate he gives me the stink-eye and if he gets some in his mouth he does his disgusted dance where he spits out the food, sticks out his tongue, squishes up his whole face like he is eating a lemon, turns his head, and flexes is hands upwards as though the taste of that horrid thing is sending him into convulsions.

I have been disparing of cooking anything that would not be refused outright by everyone but me and dreading dinnertime. Last night I gave up and pulled a tupperware of spicy curried spinach out of the freezer. Being short on time, I made quinoa instead of rice and dumped it in a bowl for Jonathan and I to share. I was prepared for spitting and throwing, but when he looked in the bowl, he delightedly proclaimed "ball!" Jackpot. He loved it and for the first time all week ate something for dinner. Who would have guessed that a spicy curry of greens would hold this appeal? Certainly not me.

I feel a great sense of relief. My best planning is bound to fail most of the time- so I am going to relax, cook what I want, and let the chips fall where they will! On the menu this week: samosas and sesame pasta.

Jonathan enjoying the sesame pasta too!

3 comments:

  1. I know too well what you are describing. One of my favorite things about having guests in getting to cook and knowing that people besides me will really enjoy it. I am holding out hope that at least one of my children will be an adventurous eater who will love creative foods with lots of flavors and things like goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely not alone -- I love to cook, and I've long since decided that I am not, nor ever will be, a short-order cook. So, we all eat the same meal, completely up to me. I figure at the very least, Sophie is exposed to a variety of vegetables and proteins that the "average" 2 year old doesn't see or eat. Not every dinner is a home run, but I also don't give up or let her out without at least trying a little bit. A serving of fruit as bribery that comes after dinner also has proven very useful for getting her to try new foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing, I cook what I want and Liam has to at least have the food on his plate. What he eats is his choice. I figure even by having him look at the food I'm increasing the chance that he will eat it. If he doesn't eat anything for dinner I sneak in a yogurt before he goes to bed- he hasn't yet figured out the connection- not sure what I will do when he does!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...