Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kitchen Success

Blame it on pregnancy-brain, poor planning, or just bad luck, but I have been having a string of failures in the kitchen. I've managed to mangle brown and serve soy sausage, baked potatoes, pancakes, and pre-made frozen enchiladas among other things. It isn't like I am attempting and failing at souffle or meringue- I can barely make a decent bowl of cereal lately.

But after a conversation about panini sandwiches with my friend Sarah a few days ago (and some of her yummy guacamole), I was inspired to try avocado panini. So tonight I braved two new dishes for which I only kinda-sorta had the ingredients listed on the actual recipe. I used the skins of my failed baked potatoes to make cheesy baked potato skins. And then I used a recipe from Vegetarian Times as a rough guide and layered avocado slices, mozzarella, and dried tomato on some whole wheat English muffins spread with pesto to make panini!


It was a success!!! Jonathan even tried and liked the sandwiches. (Here he is sneaking more after he left the table).

I think his eating bravery is strongly tied to how much he helps me in the kitchen on any given night. So helping to spread pesto, and stuff the sandwiches and then squish them with the cast-iron pan made him willing to try a bite and then then a few more! Here is to more cooking success! And the cutest kitchen helper ever!

1 comment:

  1. He does have good taste! and certainly is adorable as well! My mouth is watering - glad your season of bad kitchen fortune is over...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...