Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

science

I can't help it- I love science.  As a high school physics teacher I suppose it has become second nature to me to see the world around me as an opportunity for science.  One of my graduated students once came back to me complaining that I had 'ruined' a ski trip for him because on the slopes all he could think about was acceleration and coefficient of friction and angles and such; I considered it a job well done.  When I say I love science, I do not mean that I love memorizing the facts and learning the equations.  What I mean is that I love the way science sees the world. It observes and notices things instead of taking them for granted; it sees every situation as an opportunity to explore and experiment and understand.  Science engages the world and asks exciting questions and finds innovative ways to answer them.

And so, not surprisingly, one of my FAVORITE things about being a mommy is getting to do science with my kiddos.  Nothing brightens up my day more than getting to explore something with Jonathan from his perspective.  Little people are designed to notice and explore the world around them- it is how we learn everything from our first words to social interactions to how to run and jump.  And the best part about toddler science is that there is so much of the world that is new to them that almost anything you do or see can turn into science.  Yesterday, for example, Jonathan was sliding toys down the small slide we have in our playroom- again and again and again and again the way only a toddler can.  Bored to tears, I finally said "I wonder which one slides the farthest?"   We then started sliding them down 2 at a time and noting which went farther.  He loved the experiment and before long started noticing other things- like that the ones that bounced tended to go further.


Last week, as I pulled into our driveway, I noticed that our wigelia bush was starting to sprout little buds.  So after we dumped backpacks and lunch boxes in the house, I  said "Jonathan, I have something special to show you".
He came dashing over and said "What?!?"  (the boy loves surprises)
I said, "Come with me- we are going to look at a bush!!"
"Oh BOY!!!" he started jumping up and down like I said we were going to the moon.
I grabbed a scissors and we ran out to the wigelia.  I pointed out some bare branches, and the leaves on the ground.  I asked him how the leaves got on the ground.  We talked about what happened to all the leaves in the fall and then I said, "It is almost SPRING! That is when the plants all grow brand-new leaves"  He looked at me like I was crazy.  But I proceeded and pointed out the little buds and asked him if he knew what they were.  He didn't so we cut off a branch from the bush and took it inside.  I let him dump water in a vase with a measuring cup and then we put the branch in it and put it on the dinner table.  He was expecting it to change right away, so I explained that we would have be patient and watch carefully.  I told him that we would have to look at it every day to see what happens to those little buds, but he kept running back into the dining room every 2-3 minutes to check on the branch anyway.


Thankfully they started to bloom quickly and we could notice some buds opening up by the next afternoon.  And by the end of the week viola- science and home decor combined!



1 comment:

  1. I've thought about this post about a dozen times since you wrote it. It perfectly captures one aspect of why you are such an awesome parent and how you are letting your strengths as a person shine through in your parenting.

    This part of you reminds me a lot of my own mother. We dissected earthworms, learned tree names, built terrariums (the low-budget kind where you collect your own frogs, dirt, moss, etc.), had recipes that called for H2O and NaCl, etc. I'm really fond and grateful for her influence in my life. It makes me smile to think of your children's love and gratitude for you one day when they realize how fantastically lucky they are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...